Bridging the gap between human physical therapy and veterinary medicine, Canine Rehabilitation and Physical Therapy, 2nd Edition provides vets, veterinary students, and human physical therapists with traditional and alternative physical therapy methods to effectively evaluate and treat dogs with various debilitating conditions. Coverage includes treatment protocols for many types of cutaneous, neurologic, and musculoskeletal injuries to facilitate a faster and more complete recovery.
- Invaluable protocols for conservative and postoperative treatment ensure the successful healing of dogs and their return to full mobility.
- Printable medical record forms on the companion website, including client information worksheets, referral forms, orthopedic evaluation forms, and more, can be customized for your veterinary practice.
- Six completely updated chapters on exercising dogs define the basic principles of aquatic and land-based exercise and how they may be applied to dogs, as well as how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" exercises to dogs.
- Numerous chapters on therapeutic modalities, including therapeutic lasers, illustrate how physical therapy professionals can adapt common "human" modalities to dogs.
- Physical examination chapters offer comprehensive information on orthopedics, neurology, and rehabilitation.
- NEW! Companion website with 40 narrated video clips of modalities and exercises used by physical therapists demonstrates effective ways to treat various neurologic and musculoskeletal problems in dogs.
- NEW! Fourteen new chapters describe the latest advances in the areas of joint mobilization, rehabilitation of the athletic patient, biomechanics of rehabilitation, therapeutic lasers, and physical therapy for wound care.
Table of Contents
Section I: Introduction to Physical Rehabilitation
History of Canine Physical Rehabilitation
Regulatory and Practice Issues for the Veterinary and Physical Therapy Professions
Conceptual Overview of Physical Therapy, Veterinary Medicine, and Canine Rehabilitation
Section II: Basic Science of Veterinary Rehabilitation
Tissue Healing: Tendons, Ligaments, Bone, Muscles, and Cartilage
Responses of Musculoskeletal Tissues to Disuse and Remobilization
Exercise Physiology of the Canine Athlete - NEW!
Section III: Patient Assessment and Management
Orthopedic and Neurologic Examination
Canine Locomotion Analysis
The Physical Rehabilitation Evaluation - NEW!
Assessing and Measuring Outcomes
Rehabilitating the Painful Patient: Pain Management in Physical Rehabilitation - NEW!
The Role of Chondroprotectants, Nutraceuticals, and Nutrition in Rehabilitation Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient - NEW!
Nursing Care of the Rehabilitation Patient - NEW!
Devices for Ambulation Assistance in Companion Animals - NEW!
Section IV: Therapeutic Modalities
Superficial Thermal Modalities
Electrical Stimulation - NEW!
Therapeutic Lasers in Canine Rehabilitation - NEW!
Applications of Extracorporeal Shock Wave in Small Animal Practice - NEW!
Other Modalities in Veterinary Rehabilitation - NEW!
Section V: Therapeutic Exercise and Manual Therapy
Biomechanics of Physical Rehabilitation and Kinematics of Exercise - NEW!
Range-of-Motion and Stretching Exercises
Joint Mobilization - NEW!
Exercises for Proprioception, Balance, and Joint Position Awareness
Therapeutic Exercises: Early Limb Use Exercises
Therapeutic Exercises: Joint Motion, Strengthening, Endurance and Speed Exercises
Section VI: Physical Therapy for Specific Diagnoses
Common Orthopedic Conditions and Their Physical Rehabilitation
Common Conditions and Physical Rehabilitation of the Athletic Patient - NEW!
Neurologic Conditions and Physical Rehabilitation of the Neurologic Patient
Physical Rehabilitation for Geriatric and Arthritic Patients
Physical Therapy for Wound Care - NEW!
Physical Rehabilitation for the Critically Injured Veterinary Patient
Development of a Rehabilitation Facility for Small Animals and Business Considerations
Appendix 1: Protocol Development and Protocols
Appendix 2: Manufacturers of Supplies and Equipment - NEW!